Procedure for Taking and Acting Upon Applications for Historic Building Markers
MHDC Historic Building Marker Procedures
- Historic Building Markers are awarded twice yearly, in June and December. Application deadlines are March 1 and September 1, respectively.
- A non-refundable application fee must accompany the application. The costs are $75 for the banner, $75 for the shield, or $125 for both banner and shield.
- Applications for Historic Building Markers may be obtained by calling the office at (251) 208-7281 or by visiting our website at www.mobilehd.org.
- The application package contains program procedures, criteria, guidelines and an application form. Please mail your application and check to Mobile Historic Development Commission, P.O. Box 1827, Mobile, Alabama 36633-1827.
- The Marker Committee generally meets on a monthly basis to consider applications. If a property does not meet certain guidelines, the Committee will suggest ways in which the property can be modified in order to qualify for marking. Often this involves issues of maintenance. Any exterior work required by the Marking Committee must be completed by the application deadline.
- Before beginning exterior repairs, the proposed work must be approved by the Architectural Review Board. This is required by City Ordinance and independent of the marking process.
- Following the application deadline, the Committee will meet to decide on its final recommendations to the Commission. The Commission may accept, reject or modify the Committee's recommendations.
- Applicants will be notified of the Commission's decision by letter.
- Markers are presented at a semi-annual awards reception.